Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Saturday, February 7, 2015

10 Mile Run

The body is an amazing thing.The way it can bounce back from sickness and injury is incredible. I finished the Disney Marathon with a nasty blister on my right little toe, that was several layers of skin deep. That is finding out the hard way that you are running in the wrong size of shoe. The blister was caused by my little toe rubbing against the side of the shoe for 26.2 miles, After we flew home from vacation I went to the Doctor with a sinus infection. Between both the blister and sinus infection I was unable to run for a little over two weeks. Today with very little time back at running I went outside and ran 10 miles without having to stop and walk. Needless to say I am a little pleased with myself so come with me on a 10 mile run.

Heading out the door the goal is to do an LSD (Long Slow Distance) to gauge my recovery. Heading into the first mile it felt really good, running into the wind and not getting winded at all. I remember thinking in the back of my mind "just go for 10 miles". About 4 miles into the run I cut through the parking lot of a Doctor's Office and the wind was starting to pick up. The office's flag looked pretty blowing in the wind so I stopped and took a picture of it.


The ground in this area is flat and open so the wind really picks up and forces me to slow down my pace, telling myself "This is good training". 8 miles into the run I start getting tired and am thinking "maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all." Then I turn a corner and the wind is at my back and I keep running. Getting close to the end the wind again is in my face and I am telling myself "You can either walk home or run home, it is going to take less time if you run." The run finishes in front of the clubhouse at our apartment building. Their flag is blowing straight out in the wind, this is a picture of it



Remember, just keep running!

2 comments:

  1. Impressive. I have problems with blisters too. Still too chicken to attempt a full marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thorlo brand socks, in my opinion, are the best at preventing blisters, you might give them a try. I also alternate between two pair of running shoes. I use a normal width shoe for short runs and a wide width shoe for long runs. I discovered in the Disney Marathon that my foot swells during long runs and needs the extra width.

    ReplyDelete