Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Running as Natural Therapy

Consistantly running at least two miles at a time has been shown to provide a wide array of health benefits:
  • Increased energy level
  • More Endurance
  • Better blood flow
  • More positive attitude
  • Aid to discipline, mental focus, tenacity and patience
  • Charges you up
  • Relaxes you
  • Strengthens your legs, ankles, feet and buttocks
  • helps break bad habits
  • helps break addictive behaviors
  • Elevates mood and reduces depression
Speaking from personal experience I was on the antidepressant Cymbalta before I started running. My doctor recently agreed to take me off of Cymbalta. Alot of the credit for me to be able to discontinue taking the antidepressant goes to running. Once you sucessfully train for and complete a marathon you feel like you can do anything that you set your mind to. When I was struggling with depression I was down on myself and the feeling of euphoria that I got from running a marathon flew right in the face of depression.

What benefits do you get from running?

2 comments:

  1. Amen to this. I know it works as when I don't run I get cranky extremely quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The biggest benefit for me has been finally getting my weight under control after years of trying. I like being a one percenter, too. They say less than 1% of the population can run distance.

    ReplyDelete