Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Thursday, February 3, 2011

Heart Rate Basics

It is very helpful to know your heart rate while running. If your heart rate is too fast you will wear out too quick. If your heart rate is too low you will not exert enough energy to improve your fitness level or burn enough calories to lose weight.

As your fitness level improves and you become a better runner you will have to run faster to achieve the same heart rate, in this sense running truly is an addiction!

I use my Garmin Forerunner to measure my heart rate when I am running and to target the right heart rate zone.

Exercise Zones

  • Moderate activity is reached by walking briskly
  • Weight control is reached by jogging slowly
  • Aerobic is reached by running
  • Anaerobic is reached by running faster this is where you "feel the burn"
  • VO2 or The Red line Zone is the equivalent of running all out and is used for interval training






How much time do you devote to the various zones in your workout?



No comments:

Post a Comment