Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Friday, February 4, 2011

The Run/Walk Plan

I received an e-mail enquiring as to how I ran such long distances. While in training for a marathon I occasionally use the run/walk plan to break through the proverbial wall. Here is the run/walk plan in a nutshell:
  • Run for 1 mile at your normal pace.
  • Walk for 60 seconds
  • Run the 2nd mile
  • Walk for 60 seconds and drink a cup of a sports drink
  • Repeat 24 more times
I have noticed that after using this program during my longer runs during training I can run faster, farther and feel better at the end of my long runs. I used the run/walk method during the St. Jude Memphis Marathon and finished with my personal best time for a marathon.
This run/walk method I have described is based on a plan developed by Jeff Galloway. Jeff Galloway ran the Chicago Marathon in 3:30 using his plan.

How do you break through the wall when you are training for a marathon?

No comments:

Post a Comment