Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Diet Downfalls

  • Blended Coffees: The average blended coffee purchased at Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts contains 239 calories, 200 extra calories a day equals a 20 pound weight gain in one year.
  • Not Enough Water: Runners understand it is important to hydrate before a workout, but it is also important to hydrate before a meal. Drinking two eight - ounce glasses of water before a meal makes you feel full and therefore eat less.
  • Too Much Meat: Fruit, vegetables, whole grains, and beans have fewer calories per gram. Meat is an important source of protein and iron, the problem is we eat too much of it.
  • Not Reading Food Labels: Focus on purchasing items that contain the fewest calories, unhealthy fats, and sodium. Also review the ingredients to meet your specific needs.
  • Eating While Distracted: Eating while you are distracted causes you to eat more and gain weight. Turn off the TV, put down the newspaper and focus on your food.
What are some of your diet downfalls and what do you do to overcome them?

I signed up for the Chicago Marathon today:



1 comment:

  1. Eating while distracted is *huge* for me. I tend to graze while at work. I switched to carrots and celery as snacks for exactly that reason.

    Matt over at NoMeatAthlete.com has some really good smoothie recipes that, taken as breakfast, stave off my grazing for most of the morning.

    ReplyDelete