Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Friday, January 21, 2011

Warming Up

Stretching and warming up are important because they prepare your body and mind for more intense exercise.  Warming up increases the body's core temperature and makes the muscles loose, supple and pliable. Warming up also has the effect of increasing both heart rate and respiratory rate. This increases the delviery of oxygen and nutrients to the working muscles, and prepares the muscles, tendons and joints for more strenuous activity.
There are four key elements to an effective warm up:
  • The general warm up
  • Static stretching
  • The sports specific warm up
  • Dynamic stretching
Most experts say that an effective warm up should take 5 - 10 minutes.

How long do you warm up?

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment