Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Thursday, January 20, 2011

Running Attire

You need to buy the right clothes for running, clothes that wick moisture away from the skin. I recommend not scrimping on this clothes either, I tried buying some inexpensive (cheap) wicking clothes and they irratated my skin. Since then I have stuck with the name brands and I have not had any bad experiences.

I am most comfortable in clothes that are a little loose fitting, the Nike and Under Armour sweat bands are a little heavier than the cheaper ones and hold more moisture.

Under Armour for years has told us that "Cotton is the enemy." Under Armour is now releasing a line of hybrid - Cotton clothes that wick moisture away from the skin and have the feel of cotton. I am curious to see some of these clothes and possibly give them a try, I love cotton but not for running.

If you want to run outside in this cold weather, dress in layers, so that after you warm up you can take a layer or two off. If you go to a sporting goods store such as Dick's there are all kinds of winter running gear to keep you warm. As for me when it is cold outside I move into the treadmill.

Any recommendations for running attire?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that you should buy running specific attire- shoes, shorts, shirts, even socks. You'll feel better and perform better. This week in NJ, Sports Authority is having a clearance on performance gear (about the only way I can afford some of this stuff). I picked up a pair of Adidas running shorts. Wow, they're great! So light I can barely feel them on. Finding a good indoor shirt is a lot harder. I've tried many and they all get soaked clean through within an hour and then stay that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, when Dick's runs a sale, that is a good time to stock up.

    ReplyDelete