Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Shoes and Socks

A good pair of running shoes costs around $100.00, I personally have been wearing Asics GT 2140. A pair of running shoes is good for 400 - 500 miles and each step subjects your body to a shock of two or three times your body weight. Your shoes are your best protection against this pounding. Shop sales, I find the Asics I wear on sale for $90. There are three types of running shoes:
  • Motion control running shoes are for people with low arches or flat feet.
  • Stability running shoes are for people who have normal or medium arched feet.
  • Cushioned running shoes are for people who have high arches.
A good pair of running socks helps protect your feet from blisters. My favorite socks are Thorlo's, they are heavy, and use wick-a-way technology. They are expensive, but I have not had blisters since I started wearing them. Summer socks are made of arcylic, polyester and coolmax technology because they wick away moisture. Winter socks are made of wool blends such as smart wool.

Today in my training for the Southern Indiana Classic I ran 6.5 miles indoor on the treadmill, soon I will be able to run outdoors again.

What running shoes and socks do you wear?

No comments:

Post a Comment