Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Saturday, March 7, 2015

Goal Setting


People frequently ask "How do you stick with running?" or "How do you run so far?" The short answer is, you need to sign up for a race. It is amazing what you can accomplish once you have a goal.

It is easy at times to become excited and sign up for several races and lose focus. I learned that it is best for me to not sign up for over 2 or 3 races at a time in order to focus and allow my body time to recover between races.


My first goal when I started running was to run the Koman 5k in Evansville. It fit the criteria of being Specific, Measurable, Actionable, Realistic and Time-bound.


A goal becomes more than just a dream when you fill out the entry form, pay the entry fee, print out a training program, and attach it to the refrigerator door.


After you accomplish one goal you need to replace it with a new goal. I ran a 5k, next was a 10k, then a half-marathon and finally a full marathon. Now I have set goals to run my races faster and run longer without having to stop and walk.


Share your goals selectively. I share my goals with my cheerleader who will encourage me and help me work towards my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment