Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Saturday, March 14, 2015

Final Long Training Run

Follow me on my final long run before the Southern Illinois Spring Classic Half Marathon on 3/28/15.

Conventional wisdom states that in order to prepare for a half marathon your long run is 10 miles, I am not conventional. To prepare for a half marathon I do a full 13.1 mile training run . This strategy is not for the first time half marathoner, before trying this your body needs to be conditioned to being able to do a 10 mile run at least once or twice a month.

A certain person who worries about me did not want me to run outside because it was too wet and muddy. Where would she get an idea like that?

It had rained Friday and clear into Saturday morning so I had to put off running until Saturday afternoon. During the first mile my body felt stiff and took a little longer to loosen up than normal. During miles 2 and 3 I was having to hold my body back to a 9 minute per mile pace.
Miles 4 - 8 I settled into a pace of about 9:25 per mile. Miles 9 - 13 I was having to push myself to stay below 10:00 minute miles. I finished 13.29 miles in 2:07:28 with a pace of 9:42 minutes per mile.

Look! I passed a car!





Good thing it was parked.

No comments:

Post a Comment