Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Saturday, March 9, 2013

Healthy Writers Club: Training Summary 3/9/2013



"Mental will is a muscle that needs exercise, just like the muscles of the body." -Lynn Jennings When you are ill you need to understand that your body is giving you a signal to rest. So I took it a little easy giving my body a chance to recover from the sinusitis and bronchitis. I am sure some people are going to look at my training summary for this week and think, that was taking it easy! I remember before I started running and I was in awe at what some “normal” people could do in training.
writers club Sunday was 6.6 miles in 63 minutes indoor on the treadmill. Most of my running this week was done indoors on the treadmill. I felt strong during my run like my strength was finally coming back.
IMG_1016 Monday was 3.5 miles in 31 minutes again indoors on the treadmill. I took it a little easy after the longer run on Sunday. Tuesday was a day off after running three days in a row. Wednesday was an hour of cross training at the Y with my personal trainer. I did squats, rows, and dead lifts and finished with 7 minutes of circuit training, rotating from stepper carrying a kettle bell, sit ups and push-ups. Thursday I ran 3.5 miles in 31 minutes, I really felt strong like I was all the way back. Friday was a day off to rest up for Saturday. My first day back to running outdoors was on Saturday and I ran 13.1 miles. I was a little apprehensive about a Long Slow Distance (LSD) after losing two weekends to being sick. But I really felt strong a few miles into the run I felt like I could run forever. I had a hard time holding myself back at the beginning of the run. I knew I was running too fast. When I crossed 9.0 miles I knew I was ready for the half in two weeks. The general rule of thumb is, if you can run 10.0 miles in training without having to stop and walk you can run a half.
IMG_1482 How were your workouts this week? Have you had to bounce back from an illness or injury? If so how well have you done?








2 comments:

  1. Wow Art!! That sounds great my man! This helps me a lot. Im confident i can do that half now after having heardyou say that doing 10miles without stopping is a good indication that you're ready for a half. I have been that for the last 4 weeks. My half is at the end of April so i feel good about it! Thanks buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will do fine AJ, you have trained hard!
    Art

    ReplyDelete