Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Saturday, March 2, 2013

Healthy Writers Blog: Sinusitis and Bronchitis


“There is one consolation in being sick; and that is the possibility that you may recover to a better state than you were ever in before.
Henry David Thoreau I don’t like missing a workout even if I am sick. I ended taking three days off this week due to the above mentioned ailment. Today was my first day back to working out since being sick. I decided to take it slow, easy and see how I felt. At 30 minutes I was sweating profusely. I slowed down just to see if I could crank a few more minutes of running out of this workout. I ended up running 3.8 miles in 37 minutes. This made me think, what are some general rules of the thumb to follow for running while you are sick?
sick
This is what I have learned.Illness below the neck requires time off, illness above the neck does not. Take caution when running with anything worse than a mild cold, because it can escalate into a more serious condition. With a sinus infection you need to take 3 days off from running or it can lead to something worse, such as pneumonia. With a fever or the flu it is recommended that runners wait until the day after symptoms disappear to resume running then ease back into it.
writers club
What advice do you have for trying to exercise while you are sick?

No comments:

Post a Comment