“When friends tell you how awesome you look, drop the "I still have more to go" crap. You worked hard and you deserve the compliment!” ~Jillian Michaels
A study published Monday on the New England Journal of Medicine website shows that the Mediterranean Diet may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke by as much as 30%. This is the latest study showing the astounding health benefits associated with the Mediterranean Diet. Following is the Mediterranean Diet Pyramid from Oldwayspt.org.
Getting started with the Mediterranean Diet follow these guidelines.
1. Eat lots of vegetables. Strive for 7 – 10 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
2. Eat small amounts of meat. Limit red meat to just a few times a month and a serving no larger than a deck of cards.
3. Always eat breakfast. Start you day with fiber rich foods such as whole grains and fruit.
4. Eat seafood twice a week. Fish such as tuna, herring, salmon and sardines are rich in Omega -3 fatty acids.
5. Cook a vegetarian meal one night a week. Build a meal around beans, whole grains and vegetables.
6. Use good fats, such as extra virgin olive oils, nuts, olives and avocados.
7. Enjoy some dairy products such Greek or plain yogurt and a small amount of cheese.
8. Eat fresh fruits for desert. Examples are figs, oranges, pomegranates, grapes and apples.
Let me know what you think of the Mediterranean Diet. Does it seem like something you would want to try?