Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Mediterranean Diet: Getting Started


“When friends tell you how awesome you look, drop the "I still have more to go" crap. You worked hard and you deserve the compliment!” ~Jillian Michaels 

A study published Monday on the New England Journal of Medicine website shows that the Mediterranean Diet may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke by as much as 30%. This is the latest study showing the astounding health benefits associated with the Mediterranean Diet.  Following is the Mediterranean Diet Pyramid from Oldwayspt.org.



Getting started with the Mediterranean Diet follow these guidelines.

1.       Eat lots of vegetables.  Strive for 7 – 10 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.

2.       Eat small amounts of meat. Limit red meat to just a few times a month and a serving no larger than a deck of cards.

3.       Always eat breakfast. Start you day with fiber rich foods such as whole grains and fruit.

4.       Eat seafood twice a week. Fish such as tuna, herring, salmon and sardines are rich in Omega -3 fatty acids.

5.       Cook a vegetarian meal one night a week. Build a meal around beans, whole grains and vegetables.

6.       Use good fats, such as extra virgin olive oils, nuts, olives and avocados.

7.       Enjoy some dairy products such Greek or plain yogurt and a small amount of cheese.

8.       Eat fresh fruits for desert. Examples are figs, oranges, pomegranates, grapes and apples.

Let me know what you think of the Mediterranean Diet. Does it seem like something you would want to try?

4 comments:

  1. Yeah man i think i could adopt something like this. Im actually already doing a lot of this, but i'd like to step it up a lot! Good stuff man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are already doing something similiar.
    I am trying to expand my blog and not just talk about my training.
    Review gear, talk about diets and nutrition.
    Art

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this information, Art.

    ReplyDelete