Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Cross Training


“Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.”  Will Rogers 

I love the way running can clear your mind and when the endorphins kick in a few miles into a long run and you will feel like you can run forever. I set goals for my running. One is to run the Boston Marathon. In order to achieve this goal I am going to have to do some things that I find unpleasant. One of them is cross training, It’s not dislike cross training, I would just rather be running.  Cross training is very important for marathoners since it can increase upper body strength. Upper body strength can reduce fatigue at the end of the race and is an asset in ascending hills. In order to fulfill one of my goals for 2013 I started back with my personal trainer Eric, during our first session we did Squats, Sumo dead lifts and the TRX. This was the first time I had ever used the TRX. The TRX looks like ropes and straps with handles attached to it. We worked out on the TRX for close to half an hour and it is simply amazing how good of a workout you can get by just using your body weight for resistance.
Now get off the couch and run, but don’t forget to cross train at least once a week.

How often do you cross train and what kind of cross training do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment