Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Long Slow Distance (LSD)


"Good things come slow - especially in distance running."-Bill Dellinger, Oregon coach The long slow distance should be part of every routine. If you are training consistently at least 3 or more days a week, add one longer run each week. Longer runs increase endurance, improves leg strength, burns body fat efficiently, and increases the time you can hold onto a faster pace. Here are some rules you should follow for the long slow distance (LSD): 1) Do not run too fast. The idea of the LSD is to improve your endurance not your speed. A good rule of thumb to follow is you should be able to talk or carry on a conversation. If you cannot talk or carry on a conversation, you are running to fast. 2) Do not run too far. A good rule of thumb to follow is to not increase your mileage by over 10% each week. 3) Make sure you are hydrated and have enough energy before the run. If you run in the morning eat dinner the night before and drink plenty of water the night before. Make sure to drink plenty of water before you run and you can take water with you when you run. 4) Run a familiar route or run with a partner. I personally wear a Road ID, and carry my cellphone with me. Make sure someone knows where you going and what time you will be home. 5) Pick a route that is enjoyable to run. It is easier to relax when you enjoy your route. clip_image002 Where do like to run? How far do you go on your long runs?










2 comments:

  1. I run 3.5 miles, five days a week. I will increase that in the future. But for now, I'm fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing good.
      Please keep reading and commenting.
      Art

      Delete