Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Saturday, February 23, 2013

Healthy Writers Club: Bad Running Day


"We all have bad days and bad workouts, when running gets ugly, when split times seem slow,  when you wonder why you started. It will pass."-Hal Higdon

Today my goal was to run 20 miles I barely made it 7. I chalked it up to the fact that I have been training 6 days a week lately. This included a half marathon 2 weeks ago and 18 miles last weekend.



I researched some things that can cause bad running days. This includes dehydration and under nourished, so make sure you are eating and drinking enough. Obsessive runners and over-training, training 6 days a week could be a little much. Other influences that can cause bad running days are lack of sleep, disrupted routines, poor diet, family stress, work stress, illness, weather, and long periods of sitting.

One suggestion is to vary your pace or terrain. I have been using the same course for my long runs. It is getting boring. I will try a different course next time. Another suggestion is to take a day off because continuing to run when it does not feel right can do more harm than good.

Have you bad days running?

If so, what do you do to pick yourself up?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment