“Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm. “ - Ambrose Bierce
I have been searching the Internet for foods that runners should avoid the night before a race or on race day. Eating the wrong foods could adversely affect race performance. Following are five foods that runners should avoid on race day.
1) Eating high fiber foods can lead to a pit stop at the porta- potty. They can also intensify GI pain.
2) Dairy products can cause an uncomfortable upset stomach for runners suffering from lactose intolerance.
3) Artificial sweeteners found in diet soda, sugar free snacks and sugar free candy can cause GI problems.
4) Large doses of caffeine can disrupt a runner’s sleep pattern. Caffeine can also cause a spike in blood pressure and heart rate.
5) The day or two before a vigorous event, eat only foods that are familiar to you. Eating unfamiliar foods can upset your normal digestion and cause stomach cramps or nausea during your run.
Are there any particular foods that you avoid on race day?
If so which ones?