Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Friday, February 11, 2011

Your First Half Marathon

My first half marathon was the Cedars Frostbite half at the Cedars of Lebanon State Park in Lebanon, TN in February of 2008. My running buddy and I had set a goal to run the Flying Pig Marathon in May of 2008. In the process of training for the Flying Pig we were looking for a 1/2 marathon to run as a warm-up and this seemed like a perfect fit. My buddy called down to the Cedars and talked to then and they told her that it was a flat course, she said let's do it. Maybe in Tennessee that is a flat course, but in Evansville, Indiana we would call that course rolling hills. Being this was my first half I did not know what to expect but looking back it did not seem like this half was very well organized. I believe this was the inaugural year for that event. But it was small which was nice and not to far from home. This turned out to be an excellent training run for the Flying Pig, because it is hilly in Cincinnati. Sadly this would turn out to be the only race that my buddy and I would run together. She got sick and could not run the pig and we ended up going our separate ways. I found some training tips for running your first half marathon:
  1. Select the right half marathon for you: There are half marathons with hundreds of runners and some with thousands. There are flat ones and hilly ones, chose one that will give you plenty of time to train.
  2. Chose the right training program: There are tons of training programs, there are programs to fit virtually every conditioning level, work schedule and particular half marathon. If you are running a half marathon that is hilly you do not want to pick a training program for a flat, fast course.
  3. Set realistic goals: For your first half, crossing the finish line is a victory, how many people can go out and run 13.1 miles? not many.
  4. Have a base before starting a training schedule: Most training programs recommend that you be able to run at least 30 minutes without stopping before starting training for a half marathon.
  5. Get a good pair of running shoes: You are going to spend $100.00 for a good pair of running shoes and they are worth every penney.
  6. Keep a training journal: A journal is a fun way to document your progress. I wish I would have done it, because now when I look back and I have to try and remember what I did.
Any suggestions on training for a half marathon?

No comments:

Post a Comment