Welcome to Getting Fit at Fifty

My name is Art Davis and I started running in 2007 to lose weight. Check out my before and after photos at the bottom of the page. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007 I went on to run my first half Marathon and full Marathon in 2008.























Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Diet Plateaus

During my long term war with my weight I have had to break through plateaus. They can be very discouraging, here are some techniques that I found on the Internet to get your weight loss jump started:

  1. Be a calorie detective:  Be honest with yourself, in order to lose weight you must burn more calories than you consume.
  2. Change it up: It is possible that your body has gotten comfortable with your routine, you may need to change your exercise plan and change your diet plan.
  3. Try a temporary ban: Food sensitivities can cause weight gain and bloat. Wheat, dairy and sugar are at the top of the list of the usual suspects. Try to ban all three for a few days and see what happens.
  4. Take your workout up a notch: This is the one that usually works for me. Train like a sprinter,  kick the treadmill up a little faster and see what happens.
  5. Strength training: Don't be afraid of heavier weights, they should be heavy enough that you can only do between 8 and 12 reps.
  6. Up you protein: Higher protein diets make it easier to lose weight.
  7. Try a detox: Try a smart fast of nothing but fruits and vegetables for a couple of days.
  8. Take inventory: Stress, medication and lack of sleep can stall your weight loss.
Any other suggestions?

1 comment: